Sunday, June 19, 2011

Optimistically Negative

A friend of mine talked to me today that has done this IVF thing a few times and made me feel MUCH better about everything.  Everything I am feeling is normal according to her which is nice to know.  The constant pressure I have that either my period is coming or I have to pee is normal and I just need to relax as you have this through your whole pregnancy.  The pains and cramps are normal too even though I still am not positive on that one.  That sharp pain that doubled me over yesterday sure didn't feel normal.  My emotions being through the roof and the fights I am having with my husband are more than normal.  :)  Chris and I had a doozy of one last night about all of this as I am so negative and he is so positive that I am pregnant.  Every time I cry or get emotional he is like you are pregnant and I just want to slap him.  I wanted him to realize that this might not have worked and then what will we do.  We finally agreed to disagree until this morning when he left for work and he gave me a hug and told me that he has been thinking.  He said that the good thing is that we know it isn't either one of our faults that we haven't got pregnant as my eggs did develop into two perfect embryo blastocysts and his sperm counts are still through the roof which means it will work for us.  What I wanted to say is yeah the problem is just when you put them back in my body and try to get my body to carry them, but I didn't say that.  So then he said what Dr. Ahlering keeps telling us which is "Good Stuff" when it comes to everything we are doing which in turn means he believes in us too.  (My hubs thinks our doctor looks like Steve Gutenburg, but I disagree.)  Any how, so I said to him so where do we go from here if this didn't work...are we done trying after this?  When do we say enough is enough since we have spent almost 50 grand on everything through the years?  He said we will tackle that when it happens, but we aren't done.  It was nice to hear him say that he isn't going to hold it against me if it doesn't work.  I guess that is my biggest fear right now with my high emotional state that he isn't going to want to be with me if we can't have a child.  I know that he does and we are in this together, but I feel inadequate.  Does anyone else ever feel that way like it is our fault for not making this happen?  So today my emotions are high on this Father's Day as I spent the day with my family and I know that they want this so bad for us, but I am so scared I am going to let them down as I know my mom wants grandchildren from her daughter and my sister in law wants to be an aunt.  They got on to me for being negative too and of course brought on the waterworks.  I just wish people understood this is my way of dealing with this as I have been through so much on this journey and I don't want a broken heart on Wednesday, but if I just prepare myself for the worst and I get the better news it will be even sweeter.  I still don't know what I think, but I have a new way of looking at things these next three days...  Optimistically Negative.  I am still hopeful in my heart and head, but I am still being negative.  Honestly being negative lets me function easier and not think about it 24/7.  Any how, the song Final Countdown just came on and that really and truly describes how I feel...we are counting down.  3 more days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I need lots of patience and prayers right now and I need to keep my emotions in check.  LOL...I can dream, right.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are feeling and being completely normal. You have to handle this however you need to. It is you going through it and no one else (well hubby is too). I put 'blame' on myself all the time, however it is me that has the diagnosis issues. I was worried about C leaving as well, but the truth is, most guys can adjust and be okay without kids. It is the women than 'need kids', while men just 'want them'. So that is no longer a fear, but it is me I worry about if we can't have them bc it is me that 'needs' them.
One day at a time. If it works, that is the best outcome you can hope for!!! If it doesn't, one step at a time.
As for the physical feelings, they too are normal. Don't read into them bc they could mean both outcomes, but try to think and believe it is a baby or two getting comfortable in your uterus :)

clewis said...

3 more days!!! so so soon. Cramps can be good!!! hang in there.

Sarah @OMGTheresThree said...

Keeping my fingers crosses.

Oh, and Dr A is so much cuter than Steve Gutenburg.

Hopeful in Missouri said...

Sarah...that is who you went too? What a small world? I think the world of him. I thought he was cute too. His pic on the website made me nervous at first, but I felt better when I saw he had aged since that picture. :) Just got done with beta 1. Only 2 more days!!!