Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Meds, Meds, and More Meds!!! HERE WE GO!

Tonight a nurse from the Walgreen's specialty department called me to go over all of the meds that came in my box on Friday.  I feel so much better after talking to the nurse.  :)  When I first opened the box of medication on Friday, I was so shaky that I could hardly inventory it to see what was all there.  If you didn't know I am scared of needles and blood so this was enough to make me get hot and shaky.  I brought all of the meds home and put some in the fridge and some on the counter, but haven't looked at it since.  The lady tonight explained everything including the LARGE needles I saw and how those are for mixing the medications, thank goodness.  I had no idea that most of these medicines will have to be mixed by me or my husband as with the Follistem I just used the little dial a dosage thing to measure the medicine and inject it.  After the nurse explained everything, I feel better about all of that and even the injections in the stomach, but still not fond of it all.  I guess we will find out on Thursday when I start the Lupron.  I thought it was nice all of the tips that the nurse gave me about what to do and how to make life a bit easier.  I wasn't thrilled to hear about the Progesterone and Oil injections as that doesn't sound like much fun, but I did get a laugh when she told me to divide my butt cheek into 4 quadrants to figure out where to inject the needle.  I said people draw on their butt and she no they draw it on paper.  I think she figured out I was very literal at this point.  :)  I told Chris that he has to massage my butt and he said I don't think so.  I guess we will see how that one goes in a few weeks.  She said that this medicine can be really lumpy as it is so thick and you have to rub it in.  Believe me I am going to do everything she suggested so I am not sore from these injections.  If you have any advice, let me know.  She did say that if I am pregnant that I will have to do more of the injections even after that.  Nice...oh well I will do anything to be a mom and be pregnant again.  I can't believe that my journey is starting on Thursday with injections.  The reality of all of this is definitely in front of me.  I am ready to get this ball rolling!

3 comments:

MarriedwithEndo said...

51 subcut shots later and I still HATE needles! But you get yourself into the mindset that it's what has to be done, and you will surprise yourself at how well you do! It looks very daunting, but the stockpile dwindles quickly! I haven't had any experience with the IM injections. Forthe subcut ones, I numb my belly with something cold (soda can) for a minute. I also go very slow and gentle with the needles (no quick dart like motions) and I think that is why I've only ever had two very tiny bruises. I lay on my bed propped up with pillows. And if you're doing two or more shots a day, it goes much quicker if you and Hubby each do one at the same time. Good Luck!!

Anonymous said...

You can do this!!!! I have to disagree with Married with Endo...quick in, slow out. Throw the shot in like a dart, push at a slower pace and then let it sit there fore an extra second prior to removing. It is what I have perfected as a nurse on pts (with little to no complaints) and on myself.
As for the progesterone, for the 2 I had to give myself, I did ice for a few minutes. The rest C gave me and we went ice-less. It does help you from feeling but it slows the absorbtion rate which can increase the knots in your butt there for increasing the pain later on. Also, I would lay flat on my belly for C's shots so my butt was completely relaxed.
You can do this!!! It's for your baby and not as bad as you think...promise :)

GMBoehm said...

The PIO (Progesterone in Oil) shots aren't fun, but it's not horrible. Try to relax the muscle when you get it (I know that's hard when anticipating that). Then, what I would do is use a hot pad on the area immediatly (I never did ice beforehand) and lie down for a few minutes with it on my butt. After a few minutes of heat, I would begin to massage the area. It's kind of like getting a flu shot in your arm - the more you stretch and massage the area the less of a sore spot you get. The needle is scary, but I would equal it to getting the flu shot - it hurt a little, but not very much. With the oil, it's hard to push in so you might warn Chris that it is harder to push in. Basically, just push in it steadily (not too hard) is the best way. It does stink to keep doing it, but when you get the +, you don't really mind!