Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Med Costs

Today when the phone rang and I saw that it was from the pharmacy that was taking care of my fertility drugs, I wanted to answer and then on the flipside I didn't.  Immediately the lady told me that I didn't have fertility coverage which was no shock.  Then she started giving me the breakdown of all of the meds and drugs.  Once she started I just kept saying in my head please don't be a lot.  We had planned on spending anywhere from 3 grand to 4 grand.  Here is what she said:

Lupron Kit is $99
Ovidrel trigger shot to release the eggs is $83.79
Progesterone and Oil is for 3 vials is $35 and equals to $105
Endometrin is  $105 for the discount program/$144.48 if I didn’t enroll for program
           *The lady I talked to said to check with my IVF nurse to see if I really need to take this as doctors
             usually don't prescribe progrestone and endometrin at the same time.  On top of that I am
             worried as how I am going to react to this drug.
Dexamethasone quantity of 30 is $13.04 (Might transfer to local Walgreens to use my insurance)
Z-Pac is $49.70 without insurance (Might transfer to local Walgreens to use my insurance)
Luveris is for two vials is $36.14 a vial for $72.28 total

By this point I was going this isn't to bad and to good to be true, but I knew that the big bombshell must be coming and that it did.

Gonal 450 IU for 3 vials Meds for $1872.12

Estimated Total is $2409.93 or $2346 would be total if transfer those two drugs

Now the initial shock has set in and I have had time to think and the total was a lot less than I thought and planned on.  Actually I have enough money to pay for my meds and not have to charge them and I will still have more money to put towards the procedure.  :)  I hope that this is really all the meds I am going to have to take and that this cost isn't going to go up because if it stays the same, I can deal with this a little bit easier.

The lady did tell me about a company that I can sign up with called New Life Agency.  Has anyone heard of this?  The website is http://www.newlifeagency.com/ and you sign up and pay like a $25 enrollment fee, but what they do is pay you $100 back for every $1000 you spend on fertility drugs.  I looked at the site and I still want to read it some more to find out the details, but saving a few more bucks sounds good to me.  This phone call is going better than I thought.  :)

After I had time to digest all of this, I am really viewing my glass half full instead of half empty.  Next week is going to be rough as I have to pay for everything, but I do have to say all of this is really becoming real to me.  I feel like this is still so far away and I am just ready to get this ball rolling and move forward with this.  I am hoping that these next few weeks just fly by.  Only happy thoughts for this girl and have to remain calm, stress free, and positive!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have not ever heard of that site....hmmm I might need to read up.
Glad the cost was less than you anticipated...that is always a good thing! Now you have some extra to get some massages to help you relax ;)

Anonymous said...

Okay, just read it...it is $100 back on every $1000 you spend at Walgreens on stimulation drugs....

Hopeful in Missouri said...

I think that is what it is too. Walgreens is who they are having me go through as I guess they have a special order dept and they specialize in fertility drugs. I was very surprised too. I think that there are other companies that feed into this insurance on top of other plans like if you are doing surrogacy, etc. I didn't read all of the fine print except for the part about the medications. I am all about saving a few bucks. :)