Friday, April 15, 2011

Last Phone Conference!

Things are so real now that it just amazes me!  My IVF nurse just called to walk me through the HUGE packet of information that she sent me.  I thought the packet was big that I got before, but this is serious business.  I have to fill out a bunch of papers and have them notarized as soon as possible to give our consent to doing this and also to freeze our embryos that survive.  :)  On the top of the packet was a colored copy of my updated medication schedule.  Some of my medicines have changed since the first calendar she sent me.  I love how everything is color coded that way I am not going to mess up a dose or anything like that.  I think the lady learned pretty quick that I am very organized and like having everything planned out.

She went through step by step what is going to happen in May.  May 12th is when my real fun starts and I get to start my first injectable drug called Lupron.  She said that this drug is a suppressant and that it is going to get my body ready for IVF by suppressing my pituitary gland.  I haven't taken this drug before so I guess we will see if there are any reactions with it.  I will also be taking a steroid called Dexamethasone that I have taken before.  I take those in conjunction with my usual medications for a while.  Then on the 18th I have to have my Estrodial checked and we are hoping for a low number as I should be on my period or getting ready to have a period.  Then depending on a couple of factors, I might have to go to St. Louis for a baseline ultrasound, but we won't know that until the 22nd.  I am hoping that I don't.  Then on the 25th more fun with taking Gonal F on top of everything else.  This is a new drug to me, but she says that it is like the Follistim that I took before that will increase my hormones and follicle growth.  Does anyone agree or disagree with this that has taken this?  On the 30th, I get to take Luveris which is another drug I haven't taken to mature the follicles that I have produced.  Thoughts?  Then on the 31st, I have my Estrodial checked that morning in St. Louis and then the ultrasound to check my follicles after that.  Depending on what they see depends on what they do the next few days.  They will either tell me to stay in St. Louis or go home and come back in a few days.  Everything is up in the air which sucks as I am a planner, but it will be ok.  Meanwhile I will keep dosing up on medicine to keep my follicles growing as we want them as mature as we can get them.  :)  Somewhere around then I will take an Ovidrel injection to cause all of the follicles to ovulate.  36 hours after injection is when I will have surgery.

I was told that my egg retrieval will probably be that Friday or Saturday just depending on how they mature.  She said that everything is done in the office and they have various rooms for the surgery and recovery.  She said that the sedation isn't a full few hours sedation, but more like 15 minutes to come out of it.  She said that I will be groggy most of the day, but I will be able to walk around just not do too much.  After that the next day they will call me to let me know how our little embryo's are developing.  Hearing that is exciting as that will really give us hope with this whole process.  Meanwhile I will be doing medications still, but not sure which ones yet.  On day 5 the best two embryo's will be transferred back in (she said to drink water before hand) and I guess we get to watch it.  :)  Then after that is 24 hours of bedrest.  Then cross the fingers and hope for a miracle or miracles.

This is all feeling really real.  I know that we have the greatest support system in the world that is going to get us through this next month.  Meanwhile I am going to keep thinking positive, working out, and trying to eat healthy.  I just have to keep telling myself that I am Superwoman and I can do anything with the love and support of God and my family and friends.  I am very blessed to have them in my life.

4 comments:

E and R said...

How exciting! We are a couple weeks ahead of you, but doing a donor egg cycle. I didn't have a lot of side effects from the Lupron - just some headaches (which got much worse when I added in the estrogen) hopefully you will not have to deal with that! My sister is our donor and has complained of forgetfulness and moodiness.
Hoping all goes well for you!!

Anonymous said...

I will be right ahead of you :) I start Lupron on 4/29. I had Follistem last time, so not sure about Gonal F, but have heard others using it! As for Luveris, I didn't take it last time, but I am taking it this time.

I hope SOOO Much for the two of us that come June, we will both hear 'you are pregnant'!!!

Hopeful in Missouri said...

Thanks ladies! May all of our IVF procedures be successful and we have healthy pregnancies. Thanks for the heads up on the drugs. I wonder sometimes what is in these drugs that they give us. :)

GMBoehm said...

Well, I've heard ofLupron being called "Loopy Lupron" but I don't generally remember many side effects from that, and it is a easy shot - small amount and tiny needle. I am a Gonal F fan and I always had good results from it, but I can't say I've tried others. I've never taken Luveris. A word of advice, have a hot pad on hand after the ER (egg retrieval) for your abdomen. That seemed to help me with the bloating and pain. Oh, and they will want you to drink tons of water before the ET (transfer) which can be hard if things get unexpectantly delayed, LOL. Especially considering I had to lie there for about an hour after the ET before we could even get up, get dressed and go. Waiting on those phone calls with the embryo growth is so difficult! I'm keeping positive thoughts for you and I pray you get your little miracle (or two)!